Monday, August 07, 2017

And now for something completely different

I do not know if the following will ever find a purpose.  They were something of a whim.

One of the very first things I painted three years ago after my hiatus from the hobby, was a batch of Reaper future police from my Bones Kickstarter; a set of models I felt would be good to practice on and were of no particular use to me.  They ended up sold on eBay for a pittance.

Now I've dipped into  the same unending box of toys to paint a handful of new models, with at least a notion they could serve in some of the small scale Sci-fi miniatures games Osprey, among others, seem to have been churning out of late.

Choose your poison!
My general view on Sci-fi warfare remains unchanged; I hope to goodness that in due course it will become an artefact of history, at the very least, technology will surely bring conventional warfare to an end, as the technology becomes terrifyingly autonomous and ever more potent.  Not much of a game really, and one I'd hope wouldn't exist by then*!

However at the human scale of handfuls of individuals, the position may well be different, with the same old lusts for wealth, power and revenge.  Whether 20 minutes into the future, 20 years or 200; these elements may remain unchanged, and perhaps excuse a game.

Consequently, I plucked a set of miniatures out of the horde for a quick paint job, creating a special forces-esque, police or corporate security team:

 The group is led up by a couple of detectives:

   
 I think these may have been meant as Steampunk or modern fantasy models, but I think they painted up suitably together.  Straight out of a futuristic buddy movie.  Only quickie paint jobs, and as a result the male figure looks a little chalky under the flash; but not bad for the limited time invested.

Supporting these are the security team, including a range of heavy weapons:

Sniper, Flamer and Minigun
 As well as more conservatively armed members, including their sergeant:

  
These were done in a bluish green base, a slight variation on one of my favourite colour schemes.  The beauty of these was that a good 90% of the model could be done with this scheme; this being furthered by multiple layered highlights simply over-brushed on, and augmented with contrasts and small details.  If anything I like the security squad the most.

This little collection could fit a variety of narratives, but whether they ever see any service, only time will tell...


*Of course Star Wars does not count as it clearly happened a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.


No comments:

Post a Comment