Sunday, May 17, 2015

Relief Forces - 1879...

For most of the last few months two things have been going on with the blog, one obvious to you, oh reader, and one not.  The unseen is that I have been snowed under with work for my Masters Degree, and although only studying part time, and with long to go, the end of the first semester is upon me and the work is stacked up.  Hence there have been less games going on.

Secondly and as readers can tell, most of the remaining activity has been focused on Mediaevals in some form, mostly lion Rampant, but with a smattering of Hail Caesar in there too.

I've reached a point of wanting a break from both; not much can be done about the former though, got to keep at it a little longer then the 'summer' break kicks in.  But as to the latter, well I can switch projects temporarily at least.

And so I bring you the Royal Artillery of Wood's northern column; 1879.  Or part thereof:

7lb mountain gun and limber
My first foray in many years in to both my Zulu Wars collection, and 15mm.  Although I prefer 28mm I still have armies for two conflicts in this 'scale' (and more may appear in due course).  And certainly when it comes to buzzing out a quick paint job, size is important!
Front and Right
Rear and Left
This is an Essex Miniature four horse artillery draft team, bought many years ago.  The set did not come with a gun and I didn't want to go with my original plan of placing the crewed gun onto the empty space behind the limber to show it as travelling.  Thus I needed to source some extra guns.  Warrior Miniatures came up trumps (more on that later) with some suitable 15mm artillery at a bargain price.  
Close up on the drivers
Compared to more modern figures, the Essex Miniatures are true 15mm and a little samey, but they have a classic style and charm and are easy to repose due to a fairly soft alloy used for casting them.

I tried to treat them to at least a little highlighting work, on top of the black lining technique I usually use on 15mm miniatures.

This was refreshing after weeks of uber-detailing 28mm figures.  In doing these I realised I hadn't painted any of my Zulu War collection for 5 years, sitting there sadly half finished with only enough troops for small games.  A gun limber is a nice initial addition for scenarios, but more can be done.

Maybe when study is out the way it can inspire a game as well...

4 comments: