Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Carcassonne

Carcassonne is one of those classic eurogames, whose simplicity belies its' complexity of play.  Anyone can pick up the basic rules in a matter of minutes, but mastering the game could take dozens of plays...


Last Thursday was notable for the fact it was the first time I've won at the game, against season players as we'll as a total beginner (not me) taking the random button twiddling, ignore any and all sage advice offered to him, player.  We played the river expansion, which requires the assembly of a number of themed tiles before players then take turns to draw a randomly drawn tile and place it on the board in such a fashion, as like a jigsaw, or complex game of dominoes, it matches to it's neighbours.


Onto these one can lay claim to the tiles you play by placing your population counters, into a town, onto a road or upon fields.  When towns or roads are completed you get you counter back and some points.  But farmers must stay on table until the end of the game; where bonus points are totted up.

In this game I recognised that the river would allow for early control of agriculture to the cities, so I went early with several  key farming placements (I was black).  By the end of the game I had racked up 85 points to my nearest competitor's 77 or so.

This game would make an appealing change from Monopoly or Cluedo for Xmas day, and being simple to pick up and free of combat, an ideal introduction to the extended family as to gaming.

Maybe worth adding late to your Christmas list?...

4 comments:

  1. would love to sell my copy not into board games anymore

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really is one great game. A family favourite here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting recommendation. My sister in law lived in Carcassonne for five years and I first visited the city when I was ten. She loves boardgames. I wonder if she has got it? Could solve my Christmas present problem, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My missus enjoys Scrabble (but we don't score), hates Monoploy (too comeptitive and brings out the nastiness in people) and I've been thinking about Carcassone as an alternative...

    ReplyDelete