Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Swiftly, they Rise...

Well you might remember the photo's of these in bare plastic from around a week ago. But thanks to a simple and fast colour scheme, they are now finished and ready for the table!



For the Skeletons the main initial work was making sure there were enough spears; as some of the Mantic models are built as swordsmen it was necessary to a bit of converting. Spare spears from other sets came in handy to make up the short fall. Then a simple basecoat and drybrush combo served for the bone and metals, with cloth, shield, weapon and belts finished in more detail. If it wasn't drybrushed it was just a flat coat of paint.

This allowed a black tinted glaze to do all the hard work of the shading, and it was the same for the Zombies too:


These were obviously an even easier job to deal with, having as they did relatively little to them, little clothing, few weapons, etc. I used four different shades of rotting greenish grey flesh; though shaded it's really not that apparent.

One of the models in the Mantic Zombie sprue lunges forward with both arms, however I found it easy to remove the right arm and swap it around with the other models (who already had separate right arms). Adding weapons and using a handful of the leg sets from the Ghoul set improved the variety.


For these undead, I've gone for a new basing finish, more contemporary when compared to the lurid green of my other troops. I will eventually upgrade the whole force.
So that was seventy figures done in a matter of hours. About 300 points for my Kings of War forces. It also puts me well up on the pledge. Now, onto the next job!

2 comments:

  1. Excellent work, you put me to shame, I'd be lucky to finish that lot in a month. The miniatures look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really nice. I use Mantic's Ghouls in my VC army but I admit I've had some difficulty getting them to 'rank up'. It looks like their zombies are not as bad eh?

    ReplyDelete